Red Pepper Risotto
Risotto con peperone rosso
- Sprig of rosemary, with all loose needles removed
- 1 large onion, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 3 red peppers, quartered and cut into thin strips
- 6 tomatoes, skinned and finely chopped
- 60ml olive oil
- 350g arboria rice
- 2.5 litres vegetable stock, approximately
- Knob of butter
- 4 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, plus extra to sprinkle on top
- Place a pan, with the olive oil, on a medium heat. Add the rosemary sprig and cook, turning gently every now and then, for a few minutes.
- Reduce the heat slightly and add the onions, stir gently. After about 5 minutes remove the rosemary and stir well. Rosemary has a very strong taste which can be overpowering so this will give just enough flavouring.
- Add the peppers to the onions and stir. Cook gently, stirring often, for about 10 minutes until both the onion and pepper are soft and reduced in size.
- Heat the stock in another saucepan and leave on a very low heat.
- Add the rice to the onion and peppers and stir until all the grains of rice are thoroughly coated in oil.
- Add a ladle of stock and cook, stirring continuosly until all the stock has been absorbed. Continue to add the stock in this manner until the rice is almost cooked.
- Add the tomatoes and stir well. Cook over a low heat for another 5 minutes, adding a little more stock if necessary.
- Add a knob of butter and stir well.
- Add the Parmesan cheese and stir vigorously.
- Serve in warmed bowls, sprinkle more Parmesan on the top if desired and serve immediately.
Go Back to Recipes
Click on an image to enlarge