- 320g spaghetti
- 6 medium egg yolks
- freshly ground black pepper
- 150g streaky bacon or pancetta
- 50g grated pecorino cheese plus extra for decoration
- Chopped parsley, for decoration
- Put the spaghetti into a pan of boiling water (with a little salt if you wish) and cook according to the instructions on the packet.
- Meanwhile, cut the bacon or pancetta into thin strips.
- Cook the bacon or pancetta in a non-stick frying pan, over a low to medium heat, for around 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Meanwhile, place all the egg yolks and the grated pecorino cheese in a bowl and season with freshly ground black pepper according to taste.
- Whisk the egg yolks and cheese vigorously with a hand whisk.
- Strain the pasta and reserve a some of the cooking water. Tip the cooked spaghetti into the pan with the cooked bacon, stir well and continue to cook for a few minutes.
- Add the reserved 1 tablespoon of the cooking water to the whisked egg and cheese mixture and whisk again.
- Remove the bacon and spaghetti from the heat and pour in the egg mixture.
- Stir quickly to mix it all in and add a little more of the cooking water if necessary to form a thin, creamy sauce.
- Divide between 4 warmed bowls, sprinkle with a little extra cheese and the chopped parsley. Serve immediately.
Go Back to Recipes
Click on an image to enlarge